Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Well the connection to the net is less than ideal (10mbps this morning), and limited time, but I will make the most of it. I plan on posting a photo or two from each area, trip, occassion or what not. Then when I return to the states and am reassimilated into the borg that is our home, I will update each file, filling in all of the photos from that event.

Jet lag is still with me some, but I am quickly acclimating to the time shift. I woke this morning at first light, but other than that, I believe that my schedule is in synch with local time.

Last evening we ventured out to what is essentially a sort of farmers market. Several small stalls and shops selling all sorts of food: vegetables of all varieties, many of which I could not identify, meats cooked as well as ready to prepare.

We returned to a wonderful meal fixed by a local woman who comes in to clean and prepare one meal a day. She does not speak English other than to say hello so we were on equal footing and completely unable to communicate, so do not expect any names for the dishes we enjoyed. Following the dinner was sliced fruit, in this instance pineapple and some melon. I can honestly say that I have never had such a tasty pineapple. Since all of the produce is provided by small local farmers, it is allowed to ripen before being picked. As a result the pineapple was sweet and juicy, as was the mellon which reminded me of honeydew.

Another uneventful day ahead of me, as we allowed a couple of days for recovery from the travel here. That said, we are planning on going to dinner with Summer, a very nice young lady here who will also be accompanying us on the trip to QingHai province in a few days. I am told that the restaurant we are visiting is known for its sushi and sashimi, and since we are in a coastal town I expect that this will be a real treat.

For any who have sent email, bear with me. I am having to create some workarounds to get mail, as well as to post photos on the site, so this may take some time.

No comments: