Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Breaking the silence

I realize that it has been a while since I posted, and for that I apologize. I'd like to blame it on being busy, and traveling, and several other excuses, all of which are true, but the primary cause was lack of something about which I wished to write.

I am back in the BWoH, waiting for the backhoe for the last little bit of dirt work before I can build.. I swear that I won't rely upon anyone else for the rest of the build because of these delays...

In the meantime I've been foraging as best as I can, including some wild mustards and radishes, American Beauty Berry, persimmons, passion vine fruits, and anything else I can find. I've put up gallons of chicken stock, several pounds of catfish, several pounds of an italian meat sauce, as well as some pureed pears which will become cider in the near future..

Not wanting to be completely unproductive with regard to the homestead, I've been working on ways to lift the main girders (2' x 30' oak timbers) into place 15 feet in the air... I believe that I have figured out a solution, though not an elegant one as it requires rolling the timbers down the header of the top wall... Tricky, dangerous and perhaps a bad idea, but it is the best I have come up with so far.

It is terribly dry here, and there is no rain in the forecast, so foraging is poor and the garden all but dead.

That's the news from BWoH for now..

No comments: